Roberto De Zerbi insists Brighton are 'ready to go forward' without Moises Caicedo after the wantaway midfielder missed the FA Cup win over Liverpool... with Arsenal poised to make fresh £70m offer

Roberto De Zerbi has said Brighton are ‘ready to go forward’ without Moises Caicedo as Arsenal prepare to accelerate their pursuit of the midfielder ahead of Tuesday's transfer deadline day.

The Premier League leaders have already had one £60million bid turned down and Brighton had made it plain the 21-year-old is not for sale, having also rejected a £55m bid from Chelsea.

But Arsenal are considering another offer – worth up to £70million – in the coming days and this was the first suggestion Brighton could let Caicedo leave.

Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi has suggested wantaway Moises Caicedo could leave

Brighton boss Roberto De Zerbi has suggested wantaway Moises Caicedo could leave

‘I would like that he can finish the season with us but we are ready to go forward without him,’ De Zerbi said following their FA Cup win over Liverpool.

‘I can understand him because when you are 21, and you receive the request of a big, big team that are playing in Europe. I can understand.’

Caicedo was left out the squad and has not trained since releasing a statement asking Brighton to let him go.‘

Arsenal are considering another offer for Caicedo before Tuesday's transfer deadline

Arsenal are considering another offer for Caicedo before Tuesday's transfer deadline

Caicedo is a very, very good guy,’ De Zerbi said.

‘I was surprised (by his statement) but I can understand where it started. I don’t know if you understand, but Moises is a good guy,’ De Zerbi added before hinting that Caicedo had been influenced by those around him.

Arsenal are keen to add another midfielder this month following an injury to Mohamed Elneny but it’s understood they will consider walking away from a deal for Caicedo should another bid fail.

Kaoru Mitoma celebrates after scoring the winning goal against Liverpool on Sunday

Kaoru Mitoma celebrates after scoring the winning goal against Liverpool on Sunday

Mitoma took a great touch at the back post before prodding the ball past Alisson

Mitoma took a great touch at the back post before prodding the ball past Alisson

Mikel Arteta’s side have already signed Leandro Trossard from Brighton this month and De Zerbi suggested his side cannot lose Caicedo without signing reinforcements of their own.

‘We need some players in some positions – I spoke a lot of time with (owner) Tony (Bloom) he knows very well my opinion because we are a good team but we can improve also from the transfer market.

We lost Trossard, if we lose also Caicedo it can be a problem for us. If we want to fight for Europe, or the maximum on the table. If we want to stay like this, we can. But I don’t like.’

He added: ‘If we don’t lose Caicedo we are ready to fight. I am not angry to say my team can fight for Europe. The most important is the improvement. In the transfer window always you have the possibility to improve.

’But that is out of the manager’s hands. ‘It’s already difficult for me to be a coach. To be coach and chairman should be too difficult,’ De Zerbi joked.